July Round Up
Month in the life of Sooz Gordon Designs:
- The month of July saw me working alongside the V&A Dundee, Skill Share (Jen Robison and Peter Ananin) and fellow Interior & Environmental Designer/Facilitator Linsey McIntosh. We were brought on board to help devise and deliver design workshops as part of their first community engagement project. As a designer and creative facilitator, this was a great opportunity to share my skills and encourage participants to reveal their potential as designers. Looking forward to seeing all the illuminated creations at the up coming Exhibition at the Hannah MacClure Centre in Dundee 16th-29th August.
- Worlds Smallest Street Market – Johnston’s Lane home of Spex Pistols Optical Boutique was a great success. All those involved were overwhelmed with the number of people who attended and the positive response. There was a good representation of Dundee’s creative scene from alfresco haircuts by the stylish Benjamin Barker Barbers, local produce by Fraser’s Fruit and Veg, Dundee institutions like Groucho’s music and local designer Jane Gowans and myself. It was an opportunity to showcase individuals work and shops that are invested in Dundee’s creative and cultural scene and who ultimately love to live and work here in Dundee.
- Continuing the theme of Dundee’s creative scene there was local music at the Street Market in the form of Nic Madil, Sean McGouldrick, Pete McGlone. We had the pleasure of going to see another 4 bands that hail from Dundee – Fat Goth, Scary People, Valdimir and Model Aeroplanes who put on a warm up gig as all were playing at T in the Park this year. It was a fantastic night and humbling to see the passion and dedication of talent that are truly representing Dundee’s ever strong music scene.
- These beauts of lamps are from the venue where the Dundee bands were playing their warm up gig the Reading Rooms. I have wanted these lamps for years, the sickening thing is I believe they were picked up cheap from a charity shop, sob.
- Featuring the new tweed fabric that I have recently sourced and is now featuring on the back of my cushion designs. I also have a lovely tomato red tweed. Love getting a new fabric to work with.
- Some exciting news to be announced soon regarding Spex Pistols, big changes and some exciting new launches. Watch this space.
- My summer holiday this year has been a trip to St.Andrews for a morning! But what a nice morning having some brunch at Mitchell’s Deli. Really like the vibe and the design of this place. Got some inspiration for another design project working on.
- WEll I did quit my day job, and after the initial fear I am very much enjoying new opportunities and looking forward to what the rest of the year will bring.